Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Hot Springs, Hiking and the Big City!

Where did I leave off on the last Jenna Taiwanese journey...Tainan...Yay...so after Tainan I traveled to the Yangmingshan National Forest which is right outside of Tapei (the big city). The area reminded me of Seattle a bit (very lush and green with rain and cooler / damper weather). Once again I was starving for more outdoor activity and fresh air and I found it in a very promising and beautiful way. Along my way to Yangmingshan I met a very nice Taiwanese woman named Charline and we really connected on a bus ride from Tainan to the speed train (i love the speed train). Recently I have come across some very nice Taiwanese people to help me along the way and nagivate thru the frustration of reading Chinese....:)many thanks to them all!!! Anyway, she lives in Tainan and we exchanged phone numbers to see eachother again. I have to go back to the speed train, what an amazing way to travel and a fantastic concept. The train stations are great and the closer you get near Tapei more people are English friendly and many of the people living (younger generation) love to speak English to you. There weren't any foreigners in the National Forest but I took some solo Jenna time at a Hotel that was right on the hot springs and soaked for a couple nights. The rooms were great!!! You had your own barrel of a tub that had the natural hot springs running thru to it and then there were private hot spring rooms below that had HUGE tubs. It would have been a great romantic place...:) And if you are lucky they even put funny condoms on your pillow with unique little packages (I think they either said, "Cat's Love" or "Honey Condom")...hmmmm LOL!!!!! These places are not cheap once again but the time spent was nice and I started to bond so much with the people who owned the Hotel they let me choose any room the next night and discounted quite a bit and I got two condoms on my pillow (what more could you want)..:) They must have thought I had an imaginary boyfriend or invisible man by my side...LOL!

My main goal was to also do a big hike in the National Forest and I found the gold at the end of the rainbow for sure. Trying to remember the name of the Peak I hiked....I think Mt. ...hmmmmm brain bubble. Anyway, a brilliant hike with beautiful lush forest all around and butterflies of so many colors. Along the way I was also greeted by the biggest snake I have ever seen in nature...WOW!!! I watched him or her intensly and the way they can just glide in a very graceful way. Funny thing is there are signs everywhere saying beware of poisonous wasps, snakes and centipeds...I wonder if that slithering friend was a poisionous one. Either way it was a cool snake and snakes are good luck to see anyway (they bring magic into ones life in the Native American belief). Hiking in Taiwan is different then what I'm used to and the best way to describe it is like doing a stair stepper times 10,000. I def. got the workout but in a more natural setting...:) The steps are beautiful! Most of them are made out of rocks and have grown bright vibrant green moss on the sides. When I finally got to the top it was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo windy but the sun was finally shining and the tall grass was dancing in the strong winds. Since the National Forest is just outside of the big city you could see all off Tapei and other mountain peaks, it was beautiful and once again Jenna was happy....:) Oh yes, one more little story. On my way down which was brutal on the knees I had a small thought of wanting to scream (not a shreaking scream but a deep scream from within)...know what I mean?...but I didn't and then just as I past an older Taiwanese man (by the way several older people hiking which I was amazed by...)he gave that same deep scream I'm describing...I couldn't believe it, it was like he was reading my mind. I came to a quick stop turned around with a smile and as his deep deep scream / call out to nature was climaxing his back was arched and his gaze was towards the sky...WOW!!!!!!! He looked at me and smiled from a distance and so I decided to give it a go as well......:) what freedom!!!!!! So if any of you have the need to do a deep loud call, I would highly recommend it for any kind of medicine in your life. Damn it felt good!

After my two days of relaxation and hiking I took the bus and train to Tapei and started my city adventure. Just to make a quick note, I really like Tapei and I would be happy teaching here as well. There is more of an English speaking community (still not a lot but more), cool cafes and restaurants, funny people to watch and so many things to do outside of the city (kinda like Denver) to get away from it all. I wish I had another week just to stay here and check areas out and then go do all the side trips outside of the city like go to Juifen and Jinguahsi where they make all the tea. By the way have I mentioned the fabulous tea?.....WOWZIWAKALAKA!!!!! The tea here is the best and I truly mean that, hands down!!!!!!! I'm not so hooked on the food (like Thai food better) but the tea is mind blowing. I don't even know where to begin and I could litterly spend a whole year just studying the tea (how it's made, what kinds, scents, how to make the special tea blends, etc....) and maybe I will in the future.

So here I am in Tapei. I did do a little shopping since I need clothing to teach and I'm really digging the jeans here and they even hem them for you right there...Love that since I'm a short pants girl. Ate at a great little Indian restaurant lastnight called Sababa and enjoyed a glass of vino (it's been a while). I would give anything to sit down with a bottle of good red wine with my chicas...:)

So, that is it for now and I must get going to go back to Yuanlin and collect my stuff and start the teaching thing....:) It's about time, eh? That whole work thing is overrated anyway....:)

love to all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment