Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Let the water wash away the mud and welcome to Jenna in Taiwan

I have made it safely from the protesting in Bangkok to the land of Yunlin, Taiwan where I will land my wings for quite some time!

First I have to share the story of celebrating the Thai New Years. It's celebrated with a lot of water, mud, dancing and loud music everywhere. There are stands with every kind of squirt gun you can imagine....backpack micky mouse squirt guns, turbo squirt guns, small squirt guns etc.....and if you are dry you won't be for long. By the end of the night I was drenched and mudified all over my face. The mud symobolizes the past year and being drenched in water washed away that year and ready for the New Year. Thai people would come up to and gently smear the light colored mud on my face and with a gentle smile another one would pour a bucket of cold water to wash away. The streets were crazy and even the protesting was going on they continued to enjoy their Holiday and celebrate with laughter! I laughed for a solid two hours. The celebration went on for 3 days total and so the next day even though i stayed away from the crazy road me and my friend Manis still were drenched and mudified by young little ones.

As I got off the plane in Bangkok a lady asked where I was staying and the shock on her face let me know that maybe it wasn't the place to stay. I guess where I decided to stay just a day before I came is where are all the protesting was happening....:) and a few government buildings near. I took a chance anyway because it was recommended by a friend and in a quieter area. Once I got there I saw a few red peeps along the way and a block down were tanks (yes tanks...kind of wild to see when your not used to that) but the street was quiet and the Thai people went on with their lives with smiles. The place I stayed was lovely and I felt very safe (Tawez) and made a Thai friend named OM (good name) and enjoyed the "soup man" at night with a great sense of humor and smile that ignited with happiness. My shopping came to an end because the last day I was there most people were not going out and about because of the protesting or at least to certain areas. I have heard it's gotten worse and the thoughts of gun shots being fired is hard to take in. As I left for the airport yesterday at 5:00am the cab driver had a hard time finding roads to take because they were all blocked off and many army men were geared up and ready for the worst I guess. Anyway, it was interesting to experience and all in all I felt safe but these kind of situations can get out of hand obviously and I feel thankful to be safe.

So,all this time traveling I have wanted destinations without so many foreigners and well........and so I shall receive.....:) WOW! In Thailand and Indonesia so many travelers but when I got off the plane in Taiwan there was me and 4 others. I live in a town called Yuanlin and there is no English.....None!!!!! And so what I'm saying is be careful what you ask for because POOF this is what I asked for a destination where I have to dive into the culture, the people, the language etc....Here I come Mandarin! Jess and Michelle greeted me in a very lovinly way and will be here for a while to show me the ropes etc...there are a FEW other teachers and in time they will be my new goooooooooooooood friends....:) I plan to travelfor a few days soon to see a bit of Taiwan and then I will start teaching May 1st. Jess will be leaving May 4th and starting her journey back to the states.

I'm excited for this journey and have no idea where it will take me but I know it will enrich my life. There will be challenges and I can see that but I'm ready and open to the possibilities and welcome this path I am on. I think after 9mo I will be ready to come home and ignite my life again in the mountains.

Missing you all greatly and sending love from a far!
Jenna

No comments:

Post a Comment