Friday, April 24, 2009

Following Your Instinct

Ni Hao! (hello in chinese)

I am starting to learn a few words belive it or not and my teachers are children that come running up to me. I will say it's funny at times because some of the Taiwanese peeps can look at me with fear and others look at me like a piece of chocolate.....;)

I have found a bit of Colorado in Taiwan lately (mountains and beauty along with some fresh air from the ocean). I had a rough start here in the beginning and from my last blog entry you probably figured that out. I decided to follow my instinct and look for other places to live or call home for a while. I'm sure there is beauty within Yunalin where I was supposed to live but it just wasn't my cup of Chinese tea....I need a little freshness and positive energy. And so, I started to cruise the website for other jobs and came accross a possibility in Kenting which is South. I contacted a school that just designed an "English Village School". They built an area that has a bus station, a coffee shop and other real life situations that students can practice their English. They will also incorporate outdoor classes (hiking, boogie boarding, surfing, camping, etc...) to help with vocabulary and real life skills etc...The guy that I contacted told me they didn't really have much for full time but I insisted on setting up a time anyway to check it out. I believe even if you start putting the vibe out the universe will usually grant you the wish (not always) :). And so, off to Kenting I go. Kenting is a very small little resort beach town and quite honestly I don't think I could live there for a year either but just breathing fresh air and seeing the ocean was medicine that Jenna needed. I had an interview the next day after arriving and was greeted by Vincent who spoke excellent English (phew!) and then proceeded to introduce me to Gina the principal. Gina didn't speak English but seemed to have a sweetness to her and Vincent was our translater (spelling?). Then another man entered named Peter (Taiwanese but excellent English again, 2nd phew!). To my suprise they had contacted Peter to also interview me with his school that him and his wife own. My interview ended up lasting a total of 6 hrs and at the end I walked away with a very peaceful feeling and realized once again that this adventure sent me to the correct people finally. It ends up that I won't be living in Kenting full time but in Pingtong (Pingdong) and working with Peter and his wife and then when the Village School needs extra help I will be taking the train to help with outdoor classes and other English learning enviornments. Another cool aspect with Peter's school is they are opening another one in a little town near by where I will probably get a flat and he wants to possibly hire me as a designer.....:). After spending the afternoon with Peter I felt like we already conected on a friendship basis and talked about everything under the sun. And so, my plans have changed and I will be headed South where it will be hot hot hot but better for the outdoor Colorado chica (ME). There is also a yoga studio right accross from the school (must be a sign).

I have been traveling since Monday and have plans to travel for a few more days just to check out Taiwan and find it's beauty. I did rent a push bike in Kenting and did a brutal but beautiful climb up to the National Forest. After NOT doing my regular cardio since January it was quite the challenge but I was smiling from ear to ear....:). Funny thing is when you are traveling in destinations where there are not any foreigners around and you see one you begin to get soooooo excited.....:). I was in 7-11 and in walked a "white man"....:) we both looked at eachother with the biggest smile. When your in the States you would find it very rare to walk up to a stranger and say would you like to have dinner tonight? OR would you like some company? OR how about some conversation? etc....but this is what you do when you are starving for communication in English and company. And so Lauras (said with rolling your tougne in a European way) was my savior and I was his. We grabed a Taiwanese beer and headed to the beach for the sunset and just talked, it was GREAT!!!!! We then came across another foreigner who I can't pronounce his name but he was indeed a character and loved to show us how to do the Flamingo (dance) in the middle of Kenting. We were all laughing until the wee hours of the night. The next day I was catching a bus with Lauras so I could head to Tainan and he was getting off in another little town. However, as we started to board the bus...............WELL...I thought we were both boarding the bus I looked up and no Lauras.............hmmmmThe bus doors started to close and I looked out my window. There was Lauras saying it was the wrong bus for him and so we laughed between the glass window and I blew kisses to say goodbye to yet another friend along the way. Funny thing is we never got contact info (e-mail etc...) and so I laughed wondering if I would ever see him again, probably not (the funny things about traveling). And so now I'm in the wonderful city or town of Tainan. Tainan is a great little historical place with a modern feeling. Many cafes and cool little temples all around. I could live here as well.

Sorry for that huge paragraph!!!!!

So all in all I'm starting to get my good vibe back but without a doubt I also realize that no matter where I live in Taiwan this will be a challenge. I have to remember (Yes Mark) why I am here and my life has been very easy and filled with some adventure the past several months. Time to teach some English and learn some Chinese.

Missing you all as always!

Jenna :)

No comments:

Post a Comment