Sunday, February 8, 2009

Sent home from school and yummy orange juice!

So, I have completed my first week of school. I have different thoughts on all of it but all in all, it's a good thing. I will have to play the game in order to get the TEFL certificate. They are really strict on the whole dressing thing which I'm not fond of but will mold myself into what they want for now. I was sent home the first day of school...HA! because I wasn't dressed like a "banker". I came back and still was denied....weird eh? So, I went shopping and bought the most terrible outfit to satisfy their "banker" needs.....All the girls went to the market and lauhed the whole way thru while purchasing items we would NEVER purchase in real life. Since my whole outfit cost maybe $8.00 I will just gift it away at the end with relief. The course itself is pretty demanding but it will be a lot of help once we are all out in the teacher world. I really can't imagine going out there and just doing it or accepting a job that wasn't that great just because you didn't have the certificate. With the certificate and degree you are able to get more of a respected and interesting job so, it's worth it for me. I'm not sure if the whole teaching thing is for me but perhaps it will lead me on another path. Really you can live anywhere in the world and apply for any career path ......so, time will tell. :)

Went to my first Asian dance club. We were the only "franes / frangs (what they call white people)" in the club. It's strange, there was good dance music but they really don't dance. They kind of just stand there and bop up and down. So, of course I was dancing and my crazy friend Elenza. I don't think the Asian woman were to fond of us but the Asian men were quite entertained. I tried to encourage some of the Asian woman to join but they looked at me as if I were CRAZY!!!! And well, I am a little crazy....;)

This weekend was the flower festival so there was a lot going on. The floats were beautiful and the flowers amazing. A lot of people dressed in traditional costumes, singers, musical instruments, crazy stuff going on and unbelievable yummy food. Tonight was the night market as well and I ate so much food for only $2.00. I had pad thai wrapped in an omelet, a potatoe / tofu vegetable "thing" and grilled banannas dipped in cocunut milk................yum!

Chiang Mai is great but the pollution here is terrible....and it's hard to get away from it. However, you can find little streets with great cafe's and mellow atmospheres away from the traffic. I tend to hide in these little spots for Jenna time and just to get away from the city life. Found a great Chinese medicine man and still trying to find a yoga place to satisfy my yoga soul.

More later. Must go to homework to prepare for the 2nd week....:)

Oh yeah....the fresh squeezed orange juice.............the BEST orange juice EVER!!!!!!

love and juice to you all!
Jenna

No comments:

Post a Comment