Monday, February 2, 2009

First Day of School in Thailand

Let the drum rolls begin, the first day of school has happened. The campus is nice and Chiang Mai University is actually rated the 2nd best University in Thailand. I also found out that this particular location for the famous TESOL (ESL) course is one of the most challenging abroad but is very well respected once out in the real world. I figure if I'm going to pay this much $$$$ I might is well go BIG. It is going to be an intense month though. So for those of you who think I'm on vacation in Thailand, think again. School is from 9:00am - 5:00pm and it doesn't stop there. There is research after class with groups and homework on your own. There are a total of 6 observers / trainers and some are very strict. One lady I refer to as Natzie (spelling???) woman. I'm really not hip on the dress code going on and have a bit of an attitude about it but.......I will mold and shaped into what they want to pass the course....;) However, Thailand will not be where I end up teaching. Way to many do's and dont's. I don't do well with those....;) Not to sound negative but I'm way to comfortable in my own skin to change my ways to a certain extent. Another thing is if you are a teacher in Thailand and you happen to have a significant other / husband, no public affection. I know this may not be a big deal to a lot of people but for me that is ridiculous.....;) Not that I'm going to walk up and start making out with my significant other but if I want to hold hands or a quick kiss of the cheek then so I shall....;) Ok, I'm off on a bit of a tangent.

Overall school was great yesterday. We of course went over all our responsibilities, the course schedule, what we will be doing along the way etc....We then did several entertaining exercises throughtout the day. One was forming a group of 5 and we were given a theatrical script. The trainer would give us different emotions (happy, sad, tired, etc.) and we had to perform the scripts with these emotions. Our group had "histarical" which I was great at.....;) I was a histarical maid and found a man dead. HA!!!!!!! I have always wanted to be an actress and now I have completed that part of my life in Thailand.

There are a total of 22 people and from all over the world which is great. Ages range from 19 to 60 and a variety of personalities. I was told yesterday that I'm quite the "ham"....hmmmm I think that means character, correct? I'm not sure if I want to be referred to as a ham. :)

Anyway, have to go do a little shopping tonight to maintain my "teacher Thailand look". Chacos are a no go Colorado peeps...;( and I was told that even though I have a long traveling skirt it shows to much of my figure....are we in Muslim country?

Still loving my journey and missing you all!

Much Love!
Jenna

1 comment: