Sunday, February 1, 2009

I have been under the weather...The famous Thailand bug...won't go in to detail but I spend a lot of time in the el bano...;) So, I have some time to write a new post and a lot of the info will be random but fun I hope. Those who have traveled to Thailand will remember.

I have decided that I'm not a person who would want to travel for an entire year on my own.....maybe when I was in my twenties. However, if I had a significant other then of course I would love to travel for a year or more. There are times when your traveling ALONE that you wonder what the hell you are doing (or at least I do and maybe some just wouldn't admit that). Most of you know I don't have a hard time meeting people but there are times when I don't feel like making the effort with small talk or for whatever reason I go thru periods where i just don't have it in me. So, after a few days of NOT being social you can tend to feel a bit odd but in a funny way. I'm happy that this journey will have a path to it such as taking the TESOL course for a month and then teaching. I have a feeling that the teaching thing will probably last a year and then maybe something a little different but only time will tell.

Today was a BIG day and I had to be responsible and actually buy a clock so I know what time it is. I actually have to be somewhere tomorrow at exactly 9:30am. My first TESOL class. Here we gooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Today I moved into my abode, it's a quaint little place and I have Jenna-fied it as much as possible. I really have nothing with me. Two skirts, 1 pair of shorts, 1 pair of jeans, 3 shirts, a wrap around which has been a blessing (thanks Mom and thanks for the idea Astrid), swim suit, sandals and tennie shoes....;) Just for those of you who haven't backpacked before, you pack light and leave stuff along the way. The "simple life"! I did pack a few nick nacks and them scattered about my studio (peacock feaver, African prayer beads, a crystal, a few pictures, cards from friends and family). These things all bring comfort and smiles to my face many times throughout the day. After I unpacked and made myself comfortable in the little studio I realized they didn't give me the one I really wanted (I looked at 3). However, I stopped and decided to see why they gave me this one...there must be something amazing about this one, I thought.....;) Ah ha, I have double the windows because I'm on the end and when you look out the window above my bed there is a huge tree with beautiful orange blossoms. My sliding glass doors enter onto a balcony that overlook a beautiful Thai home and the lush moountains. Once again luck has entered Jenna world......the small things always count and if you look around you will see so many!!!

The bathrooms in Thailand took a bit to get used to along the way but now it's quite normal to me. You have a shower in the bathroom along with a toilet and sink but there are no shower doors and there are no shower curtains. They design the floors at a slant with a drain in the corner and you just turn on the water (shower) and shampoo away. So the floor is wet, the walls are wet, the toliet lid and seat are wet and everywhere else. I am lucky to finally have hot water, it's been a while. Being in a third world country there is usually no toilet paper and if there is you must throw away in a trash can. Unfortunately, many travelers ignore this or forget I suppose.

Went to a night market lastnight and it was amazing with all the beautiful clothing and food. For breakfast I always eat fruite, yogurt and MUESLI (which is standard here)and I found a woman at the market that makes the best homemade muesli...she is now my supplier....;) It's made with grains, oats, raisons and nuts....YUM!!! I have a refrigerator in my studio so I went fruit shopping today. I found the cuttest little old Thai man who has no teeth.....he speaks in Thai the whole time as I speak in English and then we smile and laugh at eachother. However, he says thankyou in English and I say thankyou in Thai. A little twist to the story.

I also had the experience going to the mall today. I can't stand malls in the US let alone in Thailand but I have to wear "smart shirts" to school whatever that means. Do they make me smarter??? I found ONE thing that really isn't even me but I just bought it to have at least two shirts. I may have to buy shoes as well but I will see what I can get away with. I will start teaching on Thursday for practice and they want us to be presentable....tee hehehe.

Let's see what else can I fill you in on. One thing that is really disturbing is there are a lot of older men (white men) that have very young Thai girlfriends. Is a bit perverted to me but.......won't go any further on that subject.

I think that is it for now. Sending you all love!!!

Jenna

No comments:

Post a Comment