Sunday, March 8, 2009

Jenna's New Life in Taiwan

So, I thought this was the best way to explain my next career adventure in the world of teaching English. My lovely and amazing friend Jess Jones (not to be confused with the Jess below...however I'm sure she is amazing and beautiful as well but haven't meet her yet....) introduced me to a traveling friend Kevin via facebook (thank God for facebook, HA!)who works in Taiwan teaching and he sent me to Jess below for a "possible" job. I think once again, I'm having another lucky connection on this journey because Jess is handing over her life of 2 years. She teaches at a few different places, various times and has the opportunity to teach both adults and kids...........sounds pretty good to me ...phew!!!! Jess and I have exchanged several e-mails and she has had an amazing experience with all the situations below including living and working in Taiwan. I will probably be taking over her apartment as well. So, starting mid April I will land my wings and shadow her for a week or so to get the swing of things and learn how to drive a scooter like a professional....:) The scooter is my only way of transportation...Yeeha!




HI Jenna,

So I would love for you to come to Taiwan and take over my life. I think i have a pretty great opprotunity for you! I have been able to create a schedule where I am able to make a good salary and have lots of free time.


My first job, is IVLC. International VIllage Learning Center. This is where I teach adults. It is fantastic! It's basically a cultural exchange conversations. I teach all one basic class and the rest are intermediate and advanced students. I get my ARC through them and I negotiatied for a 9 month contract. Ruby, my supervisor is a good lady, though she will try to get you to sign a year, but if you don't want a year, i think you can get 9 months. On Mondays and Wednesdays I work at IVLC in Yuanlin from 6:40 PM - 9:30 PM. ON Tuesdays and Thursdays, I work in Changhua from 630 PM to 940 PM. Changhua is a 25 min scooter ride from Yuanlin where I live. IT is not a bad drive and they give you mileage money in your pay. I also work at IVLC on Saturdays, from 1010-1130. But if you don't want to work it, I am sure you don't have too. I do just for the extra money. This job is fantastic! I love my students and they become your very good freinds! The best job in taiwan.

I also work a kindergartne every morning from about 930-1130 everyday, it's not a bad job, the kids are nice and the pay is good $700 per hour.

I also work on Saturdays in a bushiban from 2-6. THis is really good money for what you do . The job is super easy and it is $700 as well. It is in yongjing 10 mins from yuanlin. I also work at a FANTASTIC bushiban in shewho, which is farther away , but the kids are great and the boss is awesome! I gross about $60,000 NT from all of these jobs. You can pick and choose what you would like of mine. It is easiest to be located in Yuanlin, since it is in the middle of all the little towns i go to. Nothing is too far in taiwan though, as you may discover.

What were you doing in CO? What part? My brother has been living there for the past 13 years as well either in Crested Butte or Colorado Springs.

ALl of my bosses would love to have you take over my position. THey keep asking me if I have found anyone yet. YOu would not be disappointed with this, I gurarenttee it!

The only contract I have is with IVLC. All the other schools I get paid in cash and no contract or taxes. It's pretty easy to find a place to stay here and rent is reasonable. about 4000 NT a month. My roomate will be moving out in July and we have a great apt. I am leaving May 4 and my last day of work will be April 31st. when will you be in taiwan?

I am leaving because I have been in taiwan for two years and i am ready to go home to live a normal life. Tiawan has been the experience of a lifetime and i am so happy I came here to do this, but i am ready to go home, eat american food and see my family! English teaching is not my career so I want to get started on the other aspects of my life.

Yuanlin is a great town! I really do love it and will miss it dearly. It's easy to get out of town and into the mountains and see lots of taiwan. The foreigner crowd here is nice as well. Especially since you are freinds with Kevin he will be able to take you to amazing places!

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you, just busy. Please let me know what you think and if you have any other questions. I would love to answer them for you! Take care!

Jess










--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Express your personality in color! Preview and select themes for Hotmail®. See how.



--
Peace, Love and Hope,

Jess


"Proactive people make love a verb. Love is something you do: sacrifices you make, the giving of self, like a mother bringing a newborn into the world. If you want to study love, study those who sacrifice for others, even for people who offend or do not love in return." - Steven Covey

No comments:

Post a Comment